Spin Milled Technology
First introduced in 2004, Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled wedges have always been unique products that provide a truly discernible performance advantage – increased control and spin. The patented Spin Milled process includes CNC machining of the face and grooves. This process is more effective than alternative milling processes at creating the maximum surface roughness, maximum groove volume, and sharpest groove edge radius allowed by the Rules to provide players with more consistent and higher spin on both full and partial wedge shots from wet and dry conditions.
With the introduction of the new SM4 wedges, Bob Vokey has refined and re-engineered the entire Spin Milled process. The fourth-generation Spin Milled technology provides maximum conforming spin through tour extreme grooves with aggressive edge geometry, tighter groove spacing, a durable heat treatment process, and precise milled micro edges. Bob’s extensive testing, both in the workshop and with the world’s best players, has resulted in wedges that produce more spin and control.
The Spin Milled Process
- Using both modern CAD technology and traditional hand-shaping, precise tooling is created to faithfully replicate the shape and sole (bounce, camber, width and grind)
- Heads are cast using soft 8620 carbon steel
- Face is machine cut on a fly cutter, yielding a perfectly level surface
- Micro edges are added for maximum surface roughness
- Grooves are precision cut with a special circular saw-style cutting tool to exacting tolerances and with maximum allowable volume and minimum edge radius
- A durable heat treatment process is applied to the impact area of the face
- Each groove is individually read and inspected to ensure maximum groove geometry under the Rules of Golf
Maximum Dimension Grooves
The Rules of Golf set forth standards for grooves in terms of geometry, volume, edge radii, and spacing. The Spin Milled cutting tool pioneered by Titleist is contoured to precisely cut the sharpest groove edge radius and maximum groove volume allowed by the Rules. The tool's unique circular shape with multiple cutting edges provides a more stable cutting process that produces tighter tolerances and more consistency from groove-to-groove and wedge-to-wedge.
The refined SM4 milling process developed by Titleist pushes groove volume and surface area to the very limits of the Rules of Golf. For that reason, after each wedge undergoes the milling process, every groove is read by a special digital stylus to ensure that it conforms with the new regulations. Every groove of every Vokey Design SM4 wedge is 100% inspected.
Industry Leading, Proprietary Surface Roughness
The Rules of Golf allow for surface roughness within the impact area of a golf club. The micro-edges created on the face of Vokey Design SM4 wedges using our patented Spin Milled process are one example. Parameters set forth by the governing bodies dictate the maximum allowable roughness across a specified surface area as well as the maximum allowable depth of any markings. When compared against alternative milling processes, Spin Milled wedges have approximately three times the roughness across the specified surface area with similar milling depths. In Titleist R&D testing, this equates to 22% more spin on partial wedge shots using Spin Milled wedges.
What Does This Mean for Golfers?
- Flat Machined Face = More Consistent Contact and Distance Control
- Maximum Surface Roughness = More Spin on Partial Wedge Shots
- Minimum Edge Radius = More Spin on Full Wedge Shots
- Maximum Groove Volume = More Spin in Wet or Grassy Conditions
- Durable Heat Treatment = Longer groove life and enhanced spin retention
- Tighter Groove Spacing = Improved launch conditions on full and partial shots
- 100% Inspected Grooves = Maximum spin within the Rules of Golf
The new SM4 wedges from Master Craftsman Bob Vokey define the standard for wedge performance.